New Year Resolutions – hopes for 2013
New Years Resolutions – I never make them! I have always resisted lists of any sort, they sound far too much like organisation to me, and being organised just sounds far too boring. However this year, I really have high hopes for the coming 12 months, which I am enjoying as more often than not a positive frame of mind eludes me. So instead of a list of resolutions that I resolutely resolve to keep, I am making a list of hopes. Hopes for me, for my friends, for my country, for my world!
My Hopes For 2013
- I hope to see more live music this year. Last year (2012) I got to see the Civil Wars, who were phenomenal. I have started as I mean to go on by buying tickets to see the hip swaying show that Pink Martini put on. Check out their video on YouTube to see what I mean.
- I really hope that for 2013 I say ‘yes’ to more things. I remember a good friend of mine making this promise to herself one year, and her life changed dramatically. I am just hoping that by starting out the year with the hope of saying yes to more things, the fearful voice that sometimes shouts ‘No’ louder than any other voice will be silenced more.
- I hope to take more chances with my music. I want to see what White Horse and the Black Dog can really do. I want to write more, feel more, experience more and I would really like to make it through a performance without quivering in the corner having an existential crisis on the shoulder of my long suffering band mate Shane.
- I hope that I will graduate from college and go onto make a sustainable living doing what I have come to love and live in a way that I never expected.
- I hope I go on learning more about what it means to be Amy. I hope to fall in love with her more and more. I hope to really believe she is capable of so much more than I currently expect of her. I really hope to treat her better, because I think she really is kind of cool.
- I hope to be braver, less fearful, I hope to be more vulnerable, to speak when I feel it, to shout when I need to, to remain silent when necessary, and to not fear any of the consequences. I have spent the last 12 months becoming more political more feminist and am really loving this change, and I hope that this carries forward into new and exciting areas.
- I hope to make more people laugh. I hope to make more people cry. I hope to make more people feel.
- I hope my friends and family have huge successes in life, love and work, in all the many and varied ways this might possibly happen.
- I hope this country learns to care more about people than money. In fact I hope that for the whole world. I hope that throughout the world change occurs, tolerance arises, people rise and demand tolerance if they have to. I hope that people start treating one another better and with respect. I hope for a voice for people who cannot be heard. I hope for a safe space for people to be heard and not judged. I hope for people to be accompanied on their journeys, that no one feels they are walking alone.
Hope is a funny thing, always there, always tapping on my pessimistic shoulder demanding to be heard, when despair threatens to overwhelm. I hope to hope more, and I am so grateful for the people who have accompanied me on my journey so far. Those who have challenged without even realising it, who have lent me their ears, shoulders and tissues and come with me, without trying to change me, who have loved me as I am, and where I am, I hope to love them back.
Posted on December 30, 2012, in Uncategorized and tagged 2012, 2013, community, dreams, fear, hope, joy, laughter, life, lists, live music, living, love, mental health, new years resolutions, pain, peace, promises, rumi, the guest house, vision. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.